June 26, 2009

Switzerland trip part 6 - Montreaux, Lausanne and Geneva

I guess this is finaly the last part of my swiss photos. On the last day, we went back to the cities. Upon suggestions by some frens, we decided to stay over at Montreaux. Initially wanted to do Lausanne, but was unable to get a decent hotel due to our last minute-ness.

Anyways, we took the Golden Panoramic train from Interlaken to Montreaux and passed by some really beautiful scenery.







Finally we arrived at Lake Geneva! Lake Geneva is the 2nd largest freshwater lake in Central Europe and is known as the Swiss Riviera.



Upon arrival at Montreaux, the first place we went was Chateau de Chillon. This is apparently one of the top attractions in Switzerland.




Actually after been to soo many other castles, I thought this was so-so only. Although the location is simply unbelievable.


View from the Chateau.


Watching the sunset from one of the windows in the tower of the Chateau.




Beautiful castle with mountain view background.

After the visit, we decided to take a train down to Lausanne for dinner coz Montreaux was sooooo quiet.. hardly saw any interesting places for dinner.


Last rosti in swiss..


Lausanne - home to the International Olympic Committee

The next day, we moved on to Geneva, our last destination before we fly back to London.

Naturally, our first stop was to visit Jet d'Eau - a large water fountain situated at the point where Lake Geneva empties into the Rhone River.




The famous Flower Clock located at the edge of the Jardin Anglais (English Garden). This is a symbol of the world renowned watch industry of Geneva. Eh, somehow it reminded me of a similar clock at Taipei's 阳明山.


Then I made my way to the European headquarters of the United Nations.


However due to time constraints, I didn't manage to do a guided tour of the UN HQ. Also, the queue was too long!


Statue of Gandhi at UN HQ.

My last visit was to CERN. CERN is located quite out of Geneva and I had to change buses to get there... quite an experience coz the bus actually brought me to all the residential and suburban places of Geneva. Quite different from the touristy Switzerland that I had known for the past week of my trip.

This is the 'Palais de l'Equilibre', a landmark building designed by Geneva architects. This is a 50th anniversary present from the Swiss Conferation to CERN.

Again I didn't manage to do a guided tour of CERN due to time constraints. I did however go into this Palais for an exhibition on Angels and Demons - the movie made famous by Dan Brown's novel. Quite an eye opener.

Overall, I think I've really enjoyed the Swiss trip. Beautiful scenery and wonderful travel kakis. Though its also really expensive!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

woman.. i love your photos..can send me the 2nd one in this blog...